Sick Yacht Syndrome Treatment
Indoor air problems or sick building syndrome is a widely recognised, universal health problem. Along with that now is Sick Yacht Syndrome.
Mould, mildew and fungi can can grow and spread mycotoxins. Once mycotoxins spread they can cause multiple illness such as headaches, nausea and sinus problems. Just like buildings and homes, inspections are also performed in ships. The air quality that we breathe inside ships is also as important as the air quality in homes and at work. Even though we may breathe fresh air from the sea, bacteria can still enter the ducts and affect the HVAC system.
What To Look Out For And Check
- Stale Air
- Diesel Fuel
- Holding Tank Odours
- Bilge Odours
- Volatile Organic Compounds (VOCs)
Problems SYS Can Cause
- Norwalk Virus
- Staph Bacteria
- Sinus issues
How To Prevent Sick Yacht Syndrome
The obvious thing is general cleanliness. A clean vessel will likely have less issues, but there are a range of products based on the Advanced Oxidation Air System to help prevent and fight Sick Yacht Syndrome. A purified indoor environment can be achieved even in compact spaces.
- Oxidation Systems which can reduce micro-organisms by over 99%
- AC/Heat Duct Air Purification System works by reducing ours, air pollutants, VOCs, smoke, mould, bacteria and viruses
- Air Purification Units are effective absorbers of multiple elements
- UV Light devices that will protect AC coils from bacteria, mould and odours
- Plug in air purifiers are air treatment systems and not filters and provide flexible, portable treatment